Saturday, January 8, 2011

The first duty of love . . .

"The first duty of love is to listen."
Paul Tillich

For those who don't recognize the name, Paul Tillich, he was a German theologian who came to the United States during the rise of the Nazis and prior to WWII.  I don't know that to be all that relevant.  It is just a little background.

My thoughts and questions are about the quote itself.  For instance:
How does this meld with our need to verbally communicate to those around us?
How does this meld with our mate's needs to hear us verbally affirm our love for them?
What if I am a "fixer" by nature?
I saw this quote the other day and it got me to thinking about the implications of active and intense listening to our love relationships.  How would those that we love respond if I took the time to sit and listen to what they are saying to me.  I think I will have to sit for more than the length of the average commercial break during the football game.

I don't really know.  I am just talking out loud.  

But what if it became more than a duty?  What if it became my pleasure?

Photo licensed under the following terms: http://morguefile.com/license/morguefile/

No comments:

Post a Comment