Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Over the line

Not many things bug me.

Well, that's not true. There are a lot of things that bug me. And one of those things that bothers me is the way that people park their cars. It bugs me when they park too close to the line. And it really bugs me when they park over the line. Because if you don't stop this, the next thing you know you will have chaos! Chaos, I say!

And do you know why?

It's because when they park over the line, it makes me go over the line. And I don't like to be over the line. In fact I mumble under my breath or mutter to my wife about all of the goofy people that can't even park their cars.

Then one day the other day it dawned on me. What if the guy's car that I am looking at was forced to park over the line in my space because the guy next to him was over the line. And then it dawned on me again. What if the other guy had to park over the line because another guy was over the line.

I realized I was being just a wee bit judgmental. Ok. I was being a lot judgmental.

But this observation pointed something out to me in a profound way. It became clear that what I do and the decisions that I make have an impact outside of my own little self.

What do you suppose are the implications of that realization? What impact does that make on decisions and actions?

As a dad, I want to keep safe within the lines of God's love and mercy. The last thing I want to do is to force someone else over the line by my careless or selfish actions.  The Bible says in Romans 14:13,
"Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way."
I am just talking out loud. And I realize we are all accountable for our own decisions. But I would never want to be a stumbling block to anyone. I think I will make extra sure that I am keeping it between the lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment