Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What Every Man Needs

So, what does every man need?

Is it a wife?  Is it a dog?  Is it a great job?  Is it a big house?  Is it a fast car?

All of those are great.  But, those aren't what is on my mind today.

Every man needs to have some guys to sit around and "smoke and joke" with every once in a while.

Today I had lunch with 3 guys.  It was a great lunch.  Each one of those guys has a very different career from me.  Each one is at a very different place in their family situation than me.  None of them are co-workers.  And none of them go to my church.

So what what made it a great lunch?  It was great because it meets a need that every man has.  And that need is the need to band together once in a while to laugh and tell stories.  I call that "smokin' and jokin'"  Now, the deep dark secret here is that this is one of the ways that men relate to one another.  And we relate on different levels than women.

We laugh with each other and they cry.  We punch each other in the arm and they hug.  Very different.  But it meets a need that I have.  And that is a need to have a band of brothers that are willing to invest in me as I invest in them.  I don't see some of these guys very often.  But it is well worth it when we do get together.

You oughta try it.

Photo licensed under the following terms: http://www.sxc.hu/txt/license.html

No comments:

Post a Comment